Saturday, November 12, 2011

Day 6 ~ Heroin in song.....

Today a duo.... first off The Rolling Stones with a little song called Dead Flowers, written by Mick Jagger and Keith Richards. It first appeared on the 1972 album Sticky Fingers..the lyrics ever so clearly about heroin: "I'll be in my basement room, with a needle and spoon" It has sort of a countryish feel to it, that is not my fave nevertheless it is a powerful dark song.

and a decent cover version  by Guns N Roses...live

and probably my favorite version...by The Cowboy Junkies......
Another important heroin song is by Canadian Neil Young, the song is called The Needle and the Damage done, it first appeared in 1972 on the album Harvest. He states the song was written not about himself, but about musicians he watched go down that painful road, specifically guitarist Danny Whitten..and others. Neil young also tends to be countryish and while that may not be my thing so much..his lyrics are so very powerful..in all his works. He is a true poet and I love his words.



a cover by Pete Doherty...live
and one last cover by Laura Marling...again this last one...probably my favorite version of all.

No comments:

Post a Comment